PSNH Power Outage In Our Neck Of Alton, Late Last Night, In What Was Quite A Storm.

Anura Guruge, June 8, 2013.

Anura Guruge

Related Posts:
>> PSNH outage …  —  Jun. 3, 2013.
++++ Search for ‘PSNH’ or ‘Outage’ using sidebar feature >>>>

Click to access Accuweather.

Click to access Accuweather.

As far as I can tell this was the first PSNH outage we have suffered since the brief outage on June 3, 2013 — in between two storms. So that is 101 days without an outage. I, for one, am glad and thankful.

That was quite a storm that we had. We had over 24 hours of lightning. Pretty impressive and kind of scary.

When we were leaving Cactus Jack’s on Wednesday night, after dinner, around 7:30 pm, we heard one of those grating National Weather Service (BBC-like) alerts that warned of a significant thunderstorm that would last till 10pm Thursday night. This was 7:30 pm Wednesday. That was over 24 hours. I commented that they must have got it wrong. I can’t ever recall a single continuous thunderstorm that lasted over 24 hours. Well, now I do.

Actually I just heard a peal of thunder as I type this; 11:10 am Friday. WOW!

I expected to lose power. I disconnected the two Internet lines and my computer a number of times yesterday. It was getting so bad that I did it last around 4pm on Thursday and everything was disconnected when we lost power at 10:57pm.

There had been no flickering of lights all day, or none that I noticed.

I had taken Devanee for Clearlakes Chorale practice and we didn’t get home till close to 10 pm. That is when I had my dinner. Much to my amazement the TV was still picking up the satellite without any problem! Strange. I decided to watch WMUR (Channel 9) at 11pm to see the weather map. It was 10:57 pm. I had the remote in my hand to punch in 9. BOOM. Total blackness. No power.

Didn’t phase me. Didn’t even think about rolling out the two generators. I still had to finish my nightly yogurt. Went and found a bunch of torches (flashlights as some refer to them) — many rechargeable (some from solar). Ate the yogurt reading the paper since I couldn’t watch TV. There was still water in the taps, plus we had some bottled water. So I was all set for taking my handful of pills, hydrogen peroxide rinsing and brushing my teeth. Read my book, in bed, with a torch. I was all set.

Alarm company called up to tell us that they knew that we had lost power.

Power came back within 2 hours, I think. I can’t be sure. I didn’t bother to look at the clock (battery powered).

So that was that. Wasn’t bad.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s